Questions about a SHRM student chapter? Check here for our frequently asked questions.
1. What does a SHRM student chapter do? SHRM student chapters hold regularly scheduled meetings to help members learn more about business and the HR field. They are run by elected student officers with the assistance of a chapter advisor and SHRM professional members.
Beyond regular meetings, chapters organize a variety of activities including:
Each of these activities help students build relationships with other local professionals and students, while learning about Human Resource Management and positioning themselves for success upon graduation 2. Are there any student chapters located outside of the US? Technically no, although there are still opportunities for students to engage with each other. Students living outside of the US, interested in receiving recognition for their on-campus “HR club,” promoting/participating in HR-related projects and activities do have the option to form a SHRM Forum. SHRM Forums are coordinated through the SHRM Global Business Development Department. Rosaura Barrera, Manager, Global Relationships manages this program. For more information, please reach out to her at Rosaura.Barrera@shrm.org.
3. What should I do if I want to join a student chapter, but there is no chapter at my school? You have two options. You can:
4. What are the chapter eligibility requirements To become affiliated with SHRM, your student chapter must meet the following requirements:
For more details on eligibility requirements, please visit our Chapter requirements page 5. How can our chapter make sure we are recognized as “Active”? Once chapters have received a chapter charter and become affiliated with SHRM, there are several yearly requirements chapters must meet to be recognized as an active chapter. To be considered active, your chapter must the following requirements:
*Chapters will be audited once per year during the chapter merit reporting process. Those who do not meet the minimum requirements will be notified.
6. Our chapter is currently inactive. How do we re-activate?
The initial requirements for reactivating a chapter are as follows:
7. Should chapters send applications to SHRM with individual checks? It is preferable to send an individual check or money order with each application. Sending a group chapter check with a group of applications makes more work for the chapter and makes it difficult to track payments in the event of a future problem or question on an application. Holding applications until one group check is created will cause unnecessary delays in the start of membership services for your applicants. If your chapter collects local dues in addition to national dues, the applicants should write two separate checks, one to the local chapter and one to SHRM. Payment and the application should be forwarded to SHRM for processing. The address is noted on the membership application form.
Please direct all payments and questions regarding individual membership to Member Care at 1-800-283-7476 or (703-548-3440 for international members) or email Member Care.
8. What should we tell a student who wants to join our chapter but is not eligible for national student membership? If an applicant does not meet the necessary qualifications for national student membership, they can still join and participate in SHRM. Give them the following two options:
9. Can chapters use the SHRM logo? Yes. As an affiliated chapter, you are entitled to use the SHRM logo for chapter newsletters, correspondence, posters, T-shirts, etc. However with this privilege comes the responsibility to use the logo correctly. Please review the Graphic Guide. Following are some guidelines for its use:
Submit a student chapter logo request. Note: Be careful not to mislead people with statements on business cards such as "President, Society for Human Resource Management." If you want to include your position as a chapter officer, be sure to state it clearly (e.g., "President, University of Texas student chapter, Society for Human Resource Management" 10. Why are members still listed on our chapter roster who have already graduated
When a student joins the Society, they receive twelve full months of membership regardless of when they graduate. Students appearing on your roster still have active student memberships even though they graduated during the membership year. These students will be included in your chapter's membership count until their memberships expire or they convert to regular membership.
If you do not wish to have them included in your membership count or listed on your roster, please complete the SHRM Student Chapter Roster Update Request form requesting that the students be removed from the chapter's membership roster. The students will be assigned to "member-at-large" status. This means they will still be national members, but they will no longer be recognized as members of your chapter.
11. Why are some of our chapter members not listed on the roster we received from SHRM? Members missing from a chapter roster is usually due to one of three factors:
12. Can students from other schools without chapters participate in our chapter activities? Yes, if approved by your chapter. Students from other schools will not be officially counted as members of your chapter, but they are welcome to participate in your activities if your chapter members feel it is appropriate. If there is sufficient interest in SHRM at another school, encourage the students there to begin their own SHRM chapter. 13. How do chapters order student chapter supplies? Student chapter supplies, including student membership application forms and recruiting materials, can be downloaded directly from on our Chapter Resource Center.
The Chapter Resource Center also includes a list of materials available upon request. To order materials, including Affiliate Banners, please contact SHRMStudent@shrm.org.
14. How do we handle student membership applications?
Completed membership applications should first be reviewed and signed by the chapter advisor to indicate that the applicant is an eligible student. Next, be sure to write your chapter number in the space provided (some chapters fill in this space before distributing applications). This ensures that your members will be assigned to the correct chapter. Take a moment to review the payment amount. National student dues are currently $49 per year. If your chapter collects local dues in addition to national dues, have the applicants write two separate checks, one to the local chapter and one to SHRM. Then forward the SHRM check with the application to the national office and keep the local dues for your chapter. Applications sent without payment or with incorrect payments will not be processed and will be returned to the applicants. Applications and payments should be sent immediately by mail to: Society for Human Resource Management, P.O. Box 79482, Baltimore, MD 21279-0482 (allow 4-6 weeks for processing) By fax to: (703) 535-6490 (allow 2-3 weeks for processing) or join online immediately.
*For information on Virtual Student Chapters, please visit our Virtual Student Chapters FAQs Page.
Contact Your Regional Team | Contact SHRM | (800) 283.SHRM (7476)
SHRM provides content as a service to its readers and members. It does not offer legal advice, and cannot guarantee the accuracy or suitabiity of its content for a particular purpose.
Volunteer Exchange | Technical Help