Volunteer Exchange

Advertisement

Expand all | Collapse all

SHRM Reminder: Register NOW for 2019 Volunteer Leaders' Business Meeting

• 1.  SHRM Reminder: Register NOW for 2019 Volunteer Leaders' Business Meeting

Posted 10-11-2019 13:29

Hi SHRM Volunteer Leaders, 

HAVE YOU REGISTERED?

This year's Volunteer Leaders' Business Meeting (VLBM) – formerly the Volunteer Leaders' Summit – is SHRM's invite-only business meeting that serves as an opportunity for SHRM to share our 2020 Business Strategy and objectives with you, our key Volunteer Leaders, and for us to explore ways to engage and partner together to achieve them.
     The name of the conference isn't the only thing that's changed as we are restructuring the programming and the Volunteer Leader experience to provide a deeper-dive into our 2020 business strategy, enhance the educational programming to equip you and your Chapter and State Council to be successful in the coming year and expand opportunities to network with other Volunteer Leaders.

REMINDER: Your attendance and engaged participation in this VLBM are critical to our shared goal in Creating Better Workplaces for a Better World in 2020 and beyond. Check your email inboxes for your exclusive invitation and registration details.

As a Volunteer Leader with SHRM, you are exclusively invited to join our full three-day program – starting with an Advocacy Day (with meetings with congressional offices on Capitol Hill) and the Opening Session on Thursday, November 14, and concluding on Saturday, November 16 with a dynamic Closing Session featuring a special address from SHRM President & CEO, Johnny C. Taylor, Jr., SHRM-SCP! Stay tuned for a fully built-out schedule and event website; in the meantime, the Opening General Session will kick off at 3:15 p.m. ET on Thursday, Nov. 14. For anyone who wishes to participate in our Advocacy Day and meetings on Capitol Hill the morning of the 14th, the programming for Advocacy Day will be from 7:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. Breakfasts/programming for the conference will begin at 8:30 a.m. Friday and Saturday mornings. The VLBM program will conclude by 1:00 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 16.

WHY YOU SHOULD ATTEND:

You will join approximately 900 of your fellow HR pros who serve as Volunteer Leaders of 51 State Councils and 558 local Chapters. Attending will help you to:

• Gain an insider's perspective on SHRM's 2020 Business Strategy and our partnership together on membership, certification, thought leadership, and branding;
    • Raise your voice with legislators through SHRM's Advocacy Day, coordinating visits with your elected members of the U.S. House of Representatives and Senate, on Capitol Hill during this special pre-conference event. This memorable and empowering program will be held from 7:00am – 2:00pm on Thursday, November 14.
    • Learn more about where the HR profession is heading in 2020 and beyond when you hear from SHRM President & CEO, Johnny C. Taylor, Jr., SHRM-SCP and his vision for SHRM's goals and initiatives. Also join us for engaging and motivating keynote speakers – stay tuned for exciting updates in the weeks ahead;
    • Participate in differentiated networking events and sessions based on shared experience levels and sized organizations;
    • Celebrate successes from 2019 – particularly through the annual SHRM Pinnacle Awards - and receive recognition from SHRM for your time and effort as a valued Volunteer Leader;
    • Acquire effective best practices through the SHRM Solution Center that allow SHRM volunteer delegations to meet one-on-one with SHRM business units around such key areas as certification, membership, marketing, communications, advocacy and others.

FRESH FOR 2019

• NEW! Receive key concurrent sessions and programming based on your Volunteer Leader role and experience level;
    • NEW! Have a Chapter or State Council problem? SHRM is your solution! Make an appointment with SHRM staff leaders from various departments (Marketing, Certification, Government Affairs, etc.) in a first-ever "SHRM Solutions Center" on Friday and Saturday. Receive the plethora of expertise from SHRM National team members and take this unique opportunity to share insights and experiences to better SHRM's service to you as Volunteer Leaders.
    • NEW! Receive special appreciation from SHRM throughout your three days in Washington, D.C. for your time and efforts as Volunteer Leaders. And collectively celebrate successes from the past year, particularly through a special showcase of the annual SHRM Pinnacle Awards.

WHO SHOULD ATTEND:

Incoming Volunteer Leaders in key SHRM Chapter and State Council leadership positions are invited to attend. Complimentary registration and hotel nights are tied to your specific volunteer role. All attendees must be a SHRM member and Volunteer Leader. Please pass this note along to future Chapter and State Council leaders for 2020 that may not receive this communication and who will serve as Chapter Presidents, State Council Directors, District Directors, Membership Directors, Certification Directors and Management Professionals.

Volunteer Role

Registration Fee

Accommodations*

Travel

Chapter President or President-Elect

Complimentary
    (1 Per Chapter)

2 nights room & tax

Covered by SHRM

Individual

100% Chapter President or President-Elect

Complimentary
    (1 Per Chapter)

3 nights room & tax covered by SHRM

Individual

2019 State Council Director

Complimentary
    (1 Per State)

Individual

2019 State Council Director-Elect

Complimentary (1 per state) for immediate Director-Elect (DE succeeds current State Council Director)

Individual

State Council Membership Director

Complimentary
     (1 Per State)

2 nights room & tax covered by SHRM

Individual

State Council District Directors

Complimentary

Individual

State Council Certification Director

Complimentary
    (1 per State)

Individual

State Council and Chapter Management Professional

Complimentary
    (1 per Chapter or State)

Individual

***Independent/Additional Attendee

$450 (1 per Chapter or State)

Individual

Individual

*** ALL INDEPENDENT/ADDITIONAL ATTENDEE requests require pre-approval and will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis as space allows. Please share your requests directly with your Field Services Director.

Stay tuned for further details and our official VLBM website in the coming days.

In the Meantime: Save the Date! VLBM Preparatory Webinar, October 29, 4:00 pm ET (stay tuned for official registration details)

Be prepared to join us for a mandatory preparatory webcast for the 2019 Volunteer Leaders' Business Meeting on Tuesday, Oct. 29 at 4:00 pm ET. With new programming, networking opportunities and State Council and Chapter specialized meetings, we need to ensure you have all the latest information prior to your travel to Washington, D.C. in November. Stay tuned for registration information and additional details!

Questions? Contact your SHRM Regional Team for more information. 

Looking forward to seeing our SHRM Volunteer Leaders next month!

------------------------------
    Meredith Nethercutt
    SHRM
    Denver CO

• 2.  RE: SHRM Reminder: Register NOW for 2019 Volunteer Leaders' Business Meeting

Posted 10-15-2019 11:51
    Hi Meredith,

The hotel appears to be sold out for the November 13 - 16 dates we are looking at for the conference. Does SHRM have any other suggestions for nearby hotels that we can register at for the conference?

You can email me directly at chelseafryman@msn.com or respond here.

Thanks!
    Chelsea

Chelsea Fryman SHRM-SCP
    Employers Council
    Colorado Springs CO

• 3.  RE: SHRM Reminder: Register NOW for 2019 Volunteer Leaders' Business Meeting

Posted 10-15-2019 12:44
    Following....I too need to hear the answer to this question.
    Have emailed our FSD, in the meantime.

Andy Thiede, SPHR, SHRM-SCP
    Director, Chapter Operations
    HRACC
    860-202-8107

• 4.  RE: SHRM Reminder: Register NOW for 2019 Volunteer Leaders' Business Meeting

Posted 10-15-2019 12:55
    I'm seeing just Wednesday as sold out. Any answer here would be great.
    Thank you!

Ali Kelkenberg, SHRM-SCP, PHR
    Human Resources
    Eagle River Water & Sanitation District
    Direct: 970-477-5418
    846 Forest Road, Vail, CO 81657
    http://www.erwsd.org
    Clean Water. Quality Life.™

Alison Kelkenberg SHRM-SCP
    Eagle River Water and Sanitation District
    Vail CO

• 5.  RE: SHRM Reminder: Register NOW for 2019 Volunteer Leaders' Business Meeting

Posted 10-16-2019 10:51
    Hi Chelsea,

So sorry to hear of any hotel reservation issues - I have alerted our Meetings team about this. They are working to add availability to Wednesday night (11/13) in particular. Feel free to email me at meredith.nethercutt@shrm.org with any questions moving forward; otherwise, I will circle back as soon as more rooms open up within the SHRM block in the coming days. Our apologies for any inconvenience - thanks for your patience!

Best,
    Meredith

Meredith Nethercutt
    SHRM
    Denver CO

• 6.  RE: SHRM Reminder: Register NOW for 2019 Volunteer Leaders' Business Meeting

Posted 10-16-2019 12:13
    Edited by Rachel Milano-Davis 10-16-2019 12:17
    Thank you for this update, Meredith. I am happy to hear rooms will be made available for 11/13. I will keep an eye out for an update via this thread and book my stay once available.

Rachel Milano-Davis SHRM-SCP
    Values Into Action - Pennsylvania
    Media PA

• 7.  RE: SHRM Reminder: Register NOW for 2019 Volunteer Leaders' Business Meeting

Posted 10-18-2019 15:56

Hi All,

It looks like Thursday night 11/14 is unavailable now too. Any updates on the room blocks? Should we be looking for rooms on our own?

Thank you!

Ali

Ali Kelkenberg, SHRM-SCP, PHR
    Human Resources
    Eagle River Water & Sanitation District
    Direct: 970-477-5418
    846 Forest Road, Vail, CO 81657
    http://www.erwsd.org
    Clean Water. Quality Life.™

• 8.  RE: SHRM Reminder: Register NOW for 2019 Volunteer Leaders' Business Meeting

Posted 10-18-2019 16:19
      |   view attached
    Hi Ali,

The following is the information that was forwarded to me from one of our SHRM Representatives:

SHRM will reimburse VLBM attendees for stays at nearby hotels up to $320 per eligible night (inclusive of room and tax.)  To receive reimbursement, you just need to submit the attached form and a copy of their hotel invoice by email to VLBMhousing@shrm.org no later than Friday, December 6th.  Requests will not be accepted after this date, and it will take 14 business days for requests to be processed and checks to be mailed.

I attached the reimbursement form that she sent as well.

I was able to get a room for right around the $320 price point at the Embassy Suites,  0.1 miles away (basically looks like a little over a block on the map)

Chelsea Fryman, SHRM-SCP
    Colorado Springs SHRM President-Elect
    Human Resources Consultant
    Employers Council
    Colorado Springs, CO

Attachment(s)

• 9.  RE: SHRM Reminder: Register NOW for 2019 Volunteer Leaders' Business Meeting

Posted 10-21-2019 08:41
    I have booked our rooms at the Marriot.  We are a 100% chapter and are supposed to have 3 nights paid for by SHRM National for our President and President Elect.  Do we need to submit a reimbursement form for these hotel rooms as well?  Or will we automatically get reimbursed for our rooms from National?

Heather Ballard
    City of Willoughby
    Willoughby OH

• 10.  RE: SHRM Reminder: Register NOW for 2019 Volunteer Leaders' Business Meeting

Posted 10-16-2019 12:14
    Hi Meredith,

Thank you so much. I made a reservation at a nearby hotel, but I am able to cancel that and change hotels if there are more rooms available at the Marriot up until November. I appreciate the help!

Thanks so much & see you in Washington DC!
    Chelsea

• 11.  RE: SHRM Reminder: Register NOW for 2019 Volunteer Leaders' Business Meeting

Posted 10-29-2019 14:59
    Have additional rooms been added to the block for Nov 13-16 yet or is there still a plan to?

Sharon Carter SHRM-SCP
    Georgia Dept. of Administrative Services
    Atlanta GA

• 12.  RE: SHRM Reminder: Register NOW for 2019 Volunteer Leaders' Business Meeting

Posted 10-29-2019 18:19
    Hi Sharon,

On the call today they announced that they wouldn't be adding any more rooms (sold out). There are a few hotels they mentioned (Hampton Inn and Comfort Inn). I have booked at the Embassy Suites that is about 0.13 miles away from the Mariott. It looks like an easy walk.

Chelsea Fryman, SHRM-SCP
    Colorado Springs SHRM President-Elect
    Human Resources Consultant
    Employers Council
    Colorado Springs, CO

• 13.  RE: SHRM Reminder: Register NOW for 2019 Volunteer Leaders' Business Meeting

Posted 10-21-2019 11:00
    i signed up for the conference and was told i would get a confirmation email, but never did.  Who should I check with?

Kristie Duggan SHRM-CP
    Lynden International
    Seattle

• 14.  RE: SHRM Reminder: Register NOW for 2019 Volunteer Leaders' Business Meeting

Posted 30 days ago
    Hi Kristie,

I can confirm you are indeed registered for VLBM - let us know if you need anything else prior to next week's event!

Meredith

Meredith Nethercutt
    SHRM
    Denver CO

• 15.  RE: SHRM Reminder: Register NOW for 2019 Volunteer Leaders' Business Meeting

Posted 23 days ago
    What is the dress code?

Tiffany Stevens
    Taney County Health Department
    Branson MO

• 16.  RE: SHRM Reminder: Register NOW for 2019 Volunteer Leaders' Business Meeting

Posted 23 days ago
    Per the webinar, the dress code for VLBM is business dress (Men: suits, ties; Women: suits, dresses).

Jeffery Palkowski SHRM-CP, PHR, MHRM
    SHRM A-Team Advocacy Captain for WI-01
    Director of Government Affairs - Wisconsin SHRM State Council
    #SHRM19 Blogger #SHRM19 Step Challenge Team Captain