View Thread

Advertisement

Expand all | Collapse all

Recruiting New Board Members

• 1.  Recruiting New Board Members

Posted 15 days ago

Due to a variety of reasons we are losing Board Members left and right.  I am trying to put together an email blast to our membership about these opportunities and am reaching out to see if anyone would share your email or what worked for you. Thanks!

Barb Mossman

Human Resources Director

LaPorte County Government

555 Michigan Avenue, Ste. 101

LaPorte, IN 46350

219-326-6808 ext. 2409

219-362-3093 fax

This transmission is intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If you are not the intended receipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, this serves as notice to you that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you receive this communication in error please notify us immediately via e-mail at the sender's e-mail address, delete this message from your computer and/or computer network and destroy any hard copies that have been made.  

• 2.  RE: Recruiting New Board Members

Posted 15 days ago
    We have been struggling with recruiting new board members as well. As our chapter grows, so do the opportunities, yet everyone is stretched for time. This year we put together a flyer that was email blasted out to our membership. We are also updating the board position descriptions and being realistic about the time commitment. We are also talking about ways to bolster committee involvement as a way of introducing members to leadership positions. Here is a link to our flyer HRMN Board Flyer.pdf.

Good luck!

------------------------------
    Regina Nixon SHRM-SCP
    KSU Communications and Ag Education
    Manhattan

• 3.  RE: Recruiting New Board Members

Posted 12 days ago
    Thank you for sharing your poster, Regina!  

I truly believe all of this turnover and difficulty in recruiting people is similar to how difficult it is to recruit new employees.  Different generations have different interests and value different things, which means we need to think in different ways.  "How we've always done things" just isn't working anymore, at least not for my group.

Good luck to all of us who are struggling with this!  I'm glad I'm not in my little boat alone.  ��

• 4.  RE: Recruiting New Board Members

Posted 11 days ago
    Thank you sharing this creative method to attract new people.

Sent from my iPhone

• 5.  RE: Recruiting New Board Members

Posted 15 days ago

HI Barb,

Sometimes a phone call and asking someone directly works better then an email blast.  People want to help but are often shy to volunteer thinking someone else could do the job better.

Susan Craft, MS, SHRM-SCP, SPHR, GPHR

Consulting by Design of Princess Anne, Ltd

757 301-9460 (w)

757 288-6528 (c) 

• 6.  RE: Recruiting New Board Members

Posted 15 days ago
    We are also in the process of updating our Board job descriptions and our Committee  responsibility summary descriptions.  We post the Board description along with other job postings on our website when we have a vacancy. Once the Committee responsibility summary descriptions are ready, we will use that for posting if a volunteer is needed.  New for 2019, we asked each Board member to look at their Committees, make sure they have a volunteer and potentially mentor one or more to be a successor for future Board positions.  We will re-enforce this at our annual Board Strategy meeting which is tomorrow night. It is at this meeting that we determine who will be remaining on the Board for the following year.

Michele A. LaPorte, SHRM-CP, PHR
    Mohawk Valley SHRM
    2nd VP Membership & Chapter Administrator

• 7.  RE: Recruiting New Board Members

Posted 15 days ago
    We began our year with our President stepping down in Feb; off to a great start there....In addition to President, we replaced President Elect, Programs, Social Media, Govt & Legislative Affairs, Finance, College Relations; in 2020 we're still going to need a President Elect plus Awards & Recognition and Diversity & Inclusion.

We've put it on our website, our LinkedIn and Facebook groups, and newsletters, mentioned the openings at every chapter meeting and networking get together, and reached out personally to people we think might be interested.  It has been an all-out effort all year long, so I can't tell you exactly what worked or didn't, but I believe the in-person conversations have been very effective.  We remind people that the volunteering is good for HRCI and SHRM certification credits, it's a great networking opportunity, and a nice way to get more familiar with other HR folks in the area.

We're also thinking this is partly a sign of the times, with all the generations in the workplace and the younger folks not necessarily into joining associations that feel somewhat dated.  That's the challenge for all of us, I bet.

Good luck to you and the rest of us who are facing this!

Cherie Ziegler SHRM-CP
    Pivotal Health Care
    Lenexa