Volunteer Exchange

Advertisement

Expand all | Collapse all

Event discounts for SHRM members without a SHRM memeber #

• 1.  Event discounts for SHRM members without a SHRM memeber #

Posted 11 days ago

My state council is looking for solutions used by other chapters/councils to attest/verify that a person is a SHRM members to received a discounted conference or meeting rate.   In the past we had asked individuals to provide their SHRM membership number during registration, however with the recent change to discontinue the use of numbers, we are not sure what information to request of the individual.

We where thinking of doing it on the "honor system" - after all we are HR professionals, and asking people to simply attest that they are a current National SHRM member.   I am interested to hear what others have had success with.

Thank you,
    Sheree Yates
    Wisconsin SHRM

------------------------------
    [Sheree] [Yates], [SHRM-CP, PHR]
    [Senior Director of HR]
    [Educational Credential Evaluators]
    [Milwaukee] [WI]

• 2.  RE: Event discounts for SHRM members without a SHRM memeber #

Posted 11 days ago

Our chapter has been discussing this as well. Our initial plan is to ask them to provide the email address that is on file with SHRM. Would be curious to know what others are doing.

Erin Wagner SHRM-CP
    Midland Garage Door Manufacturing Company
    Fargo

• 3.  RE: Event discounts for SHRM members without a SHRM memeber #

Posted 10 days ago
    HI Everyone:
    For the conference we're holding, we are also just asking for the email associated with their SHRM membership.

I highly doubt we'll check to actually make sure each attendee's SHRM membership is still valid at the time the event takes place. 

Our event was postponed from April to August, and I'm sure by now, some of those attendees have dropped their membership (and some may have joined).  The conference fee was lower for those who were SHRM members.

Andy

Andy Thiede, SPHR, SHRM-SCP
    Director, Chapter Operations
    HRACC
    860-202-8107

• 4.  RE: Event discounts for SHRM members without a SHRM memeber #

Posted 10 days ago

Thanks for sharing Andy!

Is there a way chapters or councils are able to check if a person is a SHRM member?

Sheree

[Sheree] [Yates], [SHRM-CP, PHR]
    [Senior Director of HR]
    [Educational Credential Evaluators]
    [Milwaukee] [WI]

• 5.  RE: Event discounts for SHRM members without a SHRM memeber #

Posted 9 days ago
    Hi Sheree,

It's not practical for a conference with large numbers of people, but I have checked the SHRM membership directory when I want to confirm that people are actually members.

One of the chapters I work with allows new members to join at a discounted rate if they are also members of SHRM.  I check the directory to ensure that they are.  Sometimes, someone has checked that "yes I belong to SHRM" box in error, and then I communicate to them that they need to pay the higher rate.

You can also use a chapter's SHRM annual audit results to check affiliation as well.

Andy

Andy Thiede, SPHR, SHRM-SCP
    Director, Chapter Operations
    HRACC
    860-202-8107