Volunteer Exchange

Advertisement

Expand all | Collapse all

Diversity & Inclusion Ice Breaker

• 1.  Diversity & Inclusion Ice Breaker

Posted 11-28-2018 14:28

Does anyone have any suggestions for Ice Breakers before a Diversity and Inclusion presentation for our SHRM chapter meeting?

Diane Beinlich, SHRM-SCP, SPHR| Partner Relations Manager, HRBST | Schreiber Foods

T +1 920 455 6271 | M +1 920 562 4532 | schreiberfoods.com

• 2.  RE: Diversity & Inclusion Ice Breaker

Posted 11-29-2018 14:18
    We have done "People Bingo" - it is a cool way for people to network and get to know one another.  If you want, I can send you a copy of the bingo forms we have made up.  Great ice breaker for the group, and they like getting the prizes.

------------------------------
    Dave O'Brien
    human resource manager
    Stawco Hospitality Group
    Wilbraham MA

• 3.  RE: Diversity & Inclusion Ice Breaker

Posted 11-30-2018 12:40
    You might try The Name Game. Best in small groups - tables, perhaps. People tell the others the story behind some facet of their first, middle, last name or nickname. People always have a story about their name and how it came to be, and these often reveal culture and family. Hope you have a great D&I session.

Ibby Vores SHRM-SCP
    Creative HR Consulting, LLC
    Miami FL

• 4.  RE: Diversity & Inclusion Ice Breaker

Posted 12-01-2018 12:53
      |   view attached
    Hi Everyone,
    Here are a couple below that I've saved over the years, or "stole" from another chapter or elsewhere.  Also, I've attached a "bingo" sheet for a 3rd option, sorry that it's a PDF, but you can make up your own and change the categories.

1.  "Scavenger Hunt" ice breaker.  Here's how it works:

1. When members register for a meeting, ask them for something that they have done in their lives that not too many people know. I call it "your 15 minutes of fame".  Met someone famous, coached a team, won a trophy, went somewhere cool on vacation, youngest of 9 sibs, you are a twin, etc.
    2. Once you have all of the pre-registrants, the day before make a list of all of the fun facts WITHOUT names.  Hand this sheet out- it forces people to get up and talk to other people.

SCAVENGER HUNT-  HR Class    1/1/16

1. This person has a twin brother _________________________________
    2. As a first grader, won a gold award for playground painting___________
    3. Big traveler has been to Mexico 5 times and on 2 cruises_____________
    4. First time motorcycle driver taking a class in May!__________________
    5. This person has met Kelly Clarkson twice_________________________
    6. I married their high school sweetheart___________________________
    7. Champion baton twirler for 5 years______________________________
    8. Brett Favre hunts in this person's hometown with neighbor___________
    9. Loves to ride Honda CBR 600 Crotch Rocket_______________________
    10. Has taught self-defense and is a black belt! _______________________
    11. Shot pool at BCA tourney in Vegas and met Black Widow_____________
    12. Part of a practical joke that made national news___________________
    13. Worked with adults and children with disabilities__________________
    14. Bought a non-relative a laptop to help them succeed_______________
    15. Will have bachelor's degree in 2 ½ years!________________________
    16. This person is related to Lawrence Welk_________________________
    17. Flew on the same plane as Johnny Knoxville this year_______________
    18. Took 3rd place on national level for speed skating___________________
    19. This person is related to Cindy Crawford__________________________
    20. This person lived in Denver and had a view of the Rockies from their house before moving to Wisconsin______________________________

Allow about 10 minutes of networking then 5 to go over who they are what job they do and company they represent

This exercise is usually a hit as an icebreaker to start a class or any meeting

2.   Favorite Color or Favorite Type of Music

The ice breaker would be in two parts to allow more opportunities to meet "different" people.  Estimated time for ice breaker would be 20 – 30 minutes.   If however, Part I was running over too much, we could eliminate Part II.

Part I

I would start by asking the group to form into smaller groups "based on their favorite color. I would have (8) colored pieces of construction paper signifying the colors and also state the color choices i.e. white, black, red, green, blue, orange, yellow, and purple.   Once they had gathered round their favorite color choice, I would ask each person to briefly introduce him/herself to their group by stating their name, where they are employed, or (if in transition) and their job title. In addition, each person would tell the "blue group" why (blue) is their favorite color.  Typical answers might be, I like to decorate with this color, most of my clothes are this color, my mom always said I look good in this color, etc. etc. 

Part II

Would be similar to Part I, except this time I would ask people to get into new groups based on their "favorite type of music".  There would be 8 choices (Classical, Jazz, Rock, Pop, R&B/Soul, Country,  Hip Hop/Rap, and Reggae) and they would seek their favorite music by looking for paper signs on the walls denoting one of the previously mentioned types of music. Once new groups were formed, they would again briefly state their name, place of employment, job title, and who their favorite musical band or musical artist is: i.e. if favorite type of music was country, the member could say their favorite country artist is "Sugarland", "Carrie Underwood", etc etc. 

Andy Thiede SHRM-SCP
    HRACC
    Berlin CT

Attachment(s)

pdf
    Ice Breaker - Bingo.pdf   57K 1 version