Volunteer Exchange

Advertisement

Expand all | Collapse all

Multi-State Compliance with Centralized HR Office

• 1.  Multi-State Compliance with Centralized HR Office

Posted 10-07-2021 10:41

We are an organization that is in multiple states but have a centralized HR office. With this model it is challenging to stay on top of all the legal changes that occur in every state and every municipalities within each of these states. We need information pushed to us when changes occur as we don't have the resources to manage this on a consisten ongoing basis. How are multi-state organizations with a centralized HR office managing compliance?

------------------------------
    Kenneth Corbin SHRM-CP
    Director of HR Operations
    Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Inc.
    Daytona Beach FL

• 2.  RE: Multi-State Compliance with Centralized HR Office

Posted 10-07-2021 12:32

I signed up to get notices from each state. One of our states was San Francisco which has a whole set of rules of it's own so we actually hired a consulting HR Company there that took care of all the compliance and worked with me on everything. With our other states we would try to be consistent on polices. Sometimes we would give everyone the benefit that was the greatest benefit to them. There were cases where we could not so we had separate sections in our handbook for each state where a law was specific to that state. For instance CA, NY, PA  and other big cities usually have more specific laws on leave, W/C etc. You just have to stay current. I did order a book at one time that gave basic employment law and explained how it affected each state. Sorry I don't remember where I order that from but perhaps someone at SHRM Knowledge Center could help. 

Teresa Heard SHRM-CP
    The Middleton Group LLC
    Branson

• 3.  RE: Multi-State Compliance with Centralized HR Office

Posted 10-07-2021 12:41
    I have signed up for as many email blasts from law firms as i can find.  jackson-lewis provides broad information.  We do business in CA so we are members of Calchamber,  for $700 a year you get lots of info.

Regards

Kristie Duggan SHRM-CP
    Lynden Air Freight, Inc.
    Seattle

• 4.  RE: Multi-State Compliance with Centralized HR Office

Posted 10-08-2021 09:39
    Hello!  There are several options my clients utilize including JJKeller.com, BLR.com, and SHRM has compliance updates that can be emailed to you daily/weekly. Hope some of these work for you!

Ellen Slane SHRM-CP
    Employers Advantage
    Mooresville